Much like enjoying quintessentially British food when in the UK, a trip to Belgium will not be complete without tasting some of its best eats and drinks. Foodie or not, you need to sample as much as you can of the country’s gastronomic delights. And here are a few of the must-try’s you need to have on your list.
1. Belgian chocolates are among the finest in the world. While you can buy some outside of Belgium, nothing beats the experience of exploring the chocolate shops and savoring the wide selection of concoctions that the country’s chocolatiers create.
2. Take your Belgian waffle experience to the next level by getting a taste of its famous variations – the Liège waffles and Brussels waffles. See and savor the delicious differences in textures, flavors, and appearances of the two waffle types. Or you can go for the buttery and crunchy galettes campinoises. Whatever you choose, you can expect a scrumptious treat.
3. Eat Belgian fries and learn more about the lore surrounding its beginnings in the country.
4. Try the Sirop de Liège. As the name suggests, this sweet and sticky treat comes from Liège and is made from fruit juices and other ingredients to produce a jelly-like syrup or spread.
5. Speculoos is a quintessential Belgian culinary delight. The spiced cookies are so flavorful and have become a favorite for many locals and tourists alike. It is so popular and delicious that it has inspired other food products like spreads.
6. Moules-Frites or mussels served with delicious Belgian fries. Mussel dishes are prepared in various ways including with some cooking it using ingredients that include wine or beer.